Landsat Processing Details
All* Landsat standard data products are processed using the Level 1 Product Generation System (LPGS) with the following parameters applied:
- GeoTIFF output format
- Cubic Convolution (CC) resampling method
- 30-meter (TM, ETM+) and 60-meter (MSS) pixel size (reflective bands)
- Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) map projection (Polar Stereographic projection for Antarctica)
- World Geodetic System (WGS) 84 datum
- MAP (North-up) image orientation
* A very small number of Landsat TM scenes are processed using the National Land Archive Production System (NLAPS). Details about the differences between LPGS and NLAPS can be found at http://landsat.usgs.gov/products_IP_LPGSvsNLAPS.php.
Levels of Correction
Landsat scenes are processed to Standard Terrain Correction (Level 1T -precision and terrain correction) if possible. Some do not have ground-control or elevation data necessary for L1T correction, and in these cases, the best level of correction is applied (Level 1G-systematic or Level 1Gt-systematic terrain). See the box below for descriptions of each correction level:
Standard Terrain Correction (Level 1T) - provides systematic radiometric and geometric accuracy by incorporating ground control points while employing a Digital Elevation Model (DEM) for topographic accuracy. Geodetic accuracy of the product depends on the accuracy of the ground control points and the resolution of the DEM used:
Systematic Terrain Correction (Level 1Gt)
- provides systematic, radiometric, and geometric accuracy, while employing a Digital Elevation Model (DEM) for topographic accuracy.
- Landsat 7 scenes over Antarctica are the only data processed to an L1Gt. The Ramp V2 DEM is the elevation correction source.
Systematic Correction (Level 1G) - provides systematic radiometric and geometric accuracy, which is derived from data collected by the sensor and spacecraft. Geometric accuracy of the systematically corrected product should be within 250 meters (1 sigma) for low-relief areas at sea level.
Download Microsoft Product Plug-Ins
- Processing Levels of each Path/Row - WRS-1 and WRS-2 - .xls (12.2 MB)
- How to determine the processing level of a downloaded Landsat scene - FAQ